When you want a veggie burger recipe that’s filling with flavor, you use up your sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes can be used to make pretty delicious smoothies, tacos, burritos, sandwiches, pasta dishes, appetizers and so much more! Today we are using these sweet veggies for a veggie burger recipe that will impress your harshest of critics.
Ingredients for this sweet potato veggie burger recipe:
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1/4 cup of dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup of dry barley
- 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of garbanzo bean flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup Vegetarian broth
Directions for this sweet potato veggie burger recipe:
- Bake your medium sized sweet potato in your oven at 400°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, just until it is soft.
- Cook you quinoa however you wish, I like to put mine in a rice steamer for about 20-30 min. (it will take a while for it to heat up first though).
- Next, cook your barley by bringing it to a boil with the veggie broth (follow the directions on your barley for how much broth/liquid to use). Reduce the heat and simmer. Cover and cook until the barley is tender and most of the liquid is gone. This can take 30-60 min.
- Let all of the above cool once done.
- In a medium sized bowl (or whatever works!) mix the sweet potato, garbanzo beans, garbanzo flour, cumin, cayenne pepper, parsley, salt and pepper and only 1 tbsp. of oil. Spoon these ingredients into a food processor and mix.
- Then spoon your mixture back into your bowl and mix in the (already cooled) barley and quinoa.
- Add the last tablespoon of oil to a frying pan on your stove top and heat on medium heat. Spoon out a heaping spoonful of your batter onto the frying pan and have a spatula or something that is non-stick (preferably) to help you form your patty. Cook until both sides a crispy golden brown and then stick it on a bun with all of your favorite condiments and veggies!
Sometimes, I like to even cook a little extra quinoa and put a spoonful under the patty in the burger. I like to top the quinoa with hot sauce prior to putting the patty over it. It’s yummy and incredibly filling!