Light & Fresh Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
For the Shortcakes
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk or other milk of choice
For the Strawberry Filling
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the almond milk and vanilla extract. Stir until the dough just comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat the dough into a circle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a round biscuit cutter to cut out shortcakes from the dough. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the shortcakes in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they are golden brown on the edges. Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, granulated sugar (adjust based on the sweetness of the strawberries), lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toss gently to coat the strawberries in the mixture. Let the strawberries macerate for about 15-20 minutes to develop their flavor.
- In another mixing bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, slice the cooled shortcakes in half horizontally. Place the bottom halves on serving plates.
- Spoon a generous amount of the strawberry mixture onto the bottom half of each shortcake.
- Top the strawberries with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Place the top halves of the shortcakes over the whipped cream.
- Optionally, garnish with extra sliced strawberries or a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serve the Light & Fresh Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcakes immediately, allowing everyone to enjoy the delicious flavors and textures.