A Healthier Spaghetti Dinner
So everyone who knows me knows that I am a Trader Joe’s junkie. I know where everything in the store is, down every isle, every summer item (pickle popcorn is a must) or especially when it is Pumpkin season. They have pumpkin everything! But that is not what this is about. This is about a healthier version of a spaghetti dinner and making enough for meal prepping the next few days for lunch. I, of course, get everything from Trader Joe’s.
The reason I like this recipe is because I mix the zoodles in with quinoa and brown rice spaghetti noodles. It makes it so that is not such a drastic difference to switching to zoodles, or switching to the healthier version of this kind of spaghetti. I have 2 young boys, and they love it! There are a few tricks that I have learned along the way, like having plenty of water when boiling the pasta.
Quinoa pasta absorbs more water and leaves a heavier residue. Also, stir the pasta frequently because those pesky noodles stick together easier, even with olive oil in the pot. Another trick to make it tastier is to sauté the zoodles for a couple minutes in olive oil and salt and pepper. This will ensure that this healthier version of noodles taste delicious and have a similar texture to the spaghetti, versus being slimy and crunchy… 🙂
Enjoy and Cheers!
Zoodle and Spaghetti Dinner
- 3-4 organic zucchini
- 1 package quinoa and brown rice spaghetti
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce
- 1 package garlic chicken sausage
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesean cheese to taste
- Spirilize zucchini, another tip is to cut the zoodles alongthe way so they are not super long
- Sauté garlic and zoodles on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, addsalt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package, remember to stir frequently
- Cut and sauté sausage while that is cooking
- Drain pasta and pour sauce in pasta pan, heat
- Mix both zoodles and pasta into sauce