Planning a wedding can be very rewarding and exhausting at the same time. Between making the guest list, finding the perfect dress, securing a venue and sourcing caterers, florists and photographers, you may feel stressed out and overwhelmed. That’s why, it’s important to slow down and simplify your life. A few simple changes will help you enjoy this special time, feel happier and even improve your health.
Take a deep breath and follow the tips below to make the most of your special day.
- Slow down. Take time to be present. We all get caught up in the daily hustle and bustle. It’s easy to rush through life. Try your best to be in the moment and be aware. Pay attention to the things you do every day and slow down.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Try not to get upset over the little details that don’t go exactly your way. Chances are you won’t remember these little things anyway.
- Get plenty of rest. Nothing makes you look and feel more stressed out than lack of sleep. Go to sleep early. You may even want to take a tip from Thomas Edison and start power napping. Even if you don’t believe the old adage, ‘an hour before midnight is worth three afterwards’, there’s no denying that sleep will make you look and feel better.
- Learn to say no. Saying no can be difficult but it’s critical when you’re feeling frazzled. Don’t over commit before your big day. Your family and friends will understand if you can’t get together or take on extra responsibilities. Free up time to do what’s important and meaningful to you.
- Reduce your stress. Yes, stress can affect the way you look not to mention the way you feel. If you feel stressed, schedule time to exercise or take a walk outside. Other stress relievers may include time with family & friends, yoga, meditation or even petting your dog. Take short breaks throughout your day to do something that is going to recharge you and give you energy.
- Get inspired. Surround yourself with greatness & beauty. Walk through an art museum, listen to a masterpiece, reread a favorite novel or watch a great movie. All of these things will give you positive energy & inspire you.
- Unplug & disconnect. More than ever, we’re inundated with connecting & communicating with each other 24/7. Limit your phone & computer use and don’t bring your phone to bed! You might even try doing a technology and media fast for an entire day.
- Eat a healthy diet. We’ve all heard the saying you are what you eat. Guess what? It’s true. If you eat a lot of processed junk food, you will see and feel it. Plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables and foods high in Vitamin E and Omega-3s will make you feel good inside and out. Cooking can also be a great way to reduce stress.
- Breathe. Take three, deep breaths. What changes do you notice? You probably feel more at ease and relaxed. Remember that you always have your breath. If you feel stressed in a situation, slow down and breathe.
10. Be open. Try to look at things with an open mind. If you approach situations like planning a wedding with an open mind you’ll be happier and be able to go with the flow.
There are plenty of things you can do to stay calm while you’re planning your wedding. Be patient with yourself. Don’t set yourself for failure by trying to do too much at once. Making small changes will have more impact overall because you’ll be able to stick with your new habits after your wedding and throughout your life.
Lisa Hirst Carnes is an entrepreneur and professional musician. If she’s not brainstorming new business strategies or playing her harmonium, Lisa writes for CilentoPhotography.com where you can find award winning Wedding Photographers and family portrait packages.