This red spilt lentils recipe is a great go-to meal for a warm and filling meal to get you through the cold weather while maintaining a healthy diet. This lentil recipe is very easy and you can make a lot all at once to last you the week. Don’t lose all of your hard work of getting fit and healthy for summer, keep it together with filling meals that help you keep a fit lifestyle all year round. Lentils are high in iron, complex carbs, and protein. This lentil recipe is also gluten free and vegan!
Ingredients for the Red Split Lentil Recipe:
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 2 ¼ cups of vegetable broth
- ¼ cup of your favorite pinot grigio (For a fun variation of this lentil recipe, try red wine instead of white.)
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- ½ teaspoon of seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 1 cup of filtered water
- Your choice of veggies to top with.
Instructions for the Red Split Lentil Recipe:
- Using a rice maker, add 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water and cook according to your rice cooker instructions, it should be done in approximately 25 minutes.
- Using medium heat, heat the 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a pan on your stovetop
- Add 1 cup of red split lentils
- Stir and mix until lentils are covered in oil, stirring for about 1 minute
- Add 2 ¼ cups of vegetable broth to the lentils
- Add all of the seasonings and ¼ cup of the pinot grigio
- Cover your pan with a lid and simmer over low heat just until the lentils are tender and there is no more liquid, 15-20 minutes.
- Grill your choice of veggies on the stovetop using 1 tablespoon of avocado oil for about 10 min. or until your veggies have reached your desired consistency.
- Serve rice covered with lentils and then veggies on top.
This red split lentil recipe serves about two-four people. The lentils and rice also taste great the next day and throughout the week. For a delicious and healthy breakfast, prepare the lentils and rice by heating on the stovetop or microwave and add an egg over easy on top! This makes for a great protein packed breakfast.