A balanced diet will make you feel at your best and it will provide your body with the energy it needed to support your daily activities. But you have to remember that staying fit requires you to eat not just a balanced diet but you need healthy food as well. Here are the basics yet very important tips to get started.
• Most people think that starchy foods are bad for the body as they contain fats. The truth is that these foods actually contain fewer calories than fats. It is recommended to have at least one kind of starchy food with your main meal. This means you can eat rice, potatoes and bread to name a few. It is also best to opt for whole grains, as they are rich in fiber.
• Do you know that you need to eat at least five different kinds of fruits and veggies each day? The cooked vegetables in your meal are included so make sure to eat your veggies. To meet this daily requirement, you can add bananas or berries with oatmeal for breakfast. You can drink fruit juices as well.
• Oily fish is one of the healthiest foods that a person can eat. This kind of fish is rich in omega-3, which is a good fat. Omega-3 helps fight heart diseases as well. Salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel are just some of the oily fishes that you can eat. Non-oily fish like hake, coley, haddock are also good for your body. It would be great if you can eat 2 servings of fish in a week.
• It is known to be the most important part of the meal as it supplies the energy that your body needs to start your day. Your digestive system had a long rest last night since you were asleep. This means that your stomach is empty and your body doesn’t have a source of energy. Never skip breakfast. Some healthy foods that you can eat are cereal and nutritious fruits as toppings.
• A healthy food should not contain too much salt. Cereals, soups, bread and other foods that you buy already contain food. You are actually increasing the salt content of food when adding salt when cooking. This makes the food less healthy. The key is to check the label of the food you buy. If a food contains 1.5 grams of salt per 100 grams, then you are about to eat something which has high content of salt. Remember that an adult has a daily limit of 6 grams of salt and children have lower.
• Too much sweet is also not healthy for your body. Although it wouldn’t be bad to eat cakes, pastries and other sweets every once in a while, make sure to cut your sugar intake as much as possible. Even alcoholic drinks have high sugar content. Instead of drinking alcohols, drink water and you just saved yourself from different health problems. Remember that your body needs 1.2 liters of water every day to keep you healthy and hydrated.
To get more in detailed about nutrition and healthy foods, click on the link. Start eating right now and live a healthier lifestyle.